Hadfast Road, Cousland
Dalkeith EH22 2NZ
In its heyday, the Smiddy was at the centre of the village social life. On long summer evenings, the smith worked late and folk came to watch the work and have a crack; games of quoits were played (throwing horse shoes at a marker post) and even boxing matches were sometimes held. The 18th century Smiddy is a treasure trove of old tools and agricultural and metal working artefacts.
Roslin EH25 9PU
Rosslyn Chapel is a Category A listed building and Scheduled Ancient Monument, located in the village of Roslin, approximately 7 miles south of Edinburgh. Built between 1446 and 1484, practically every surface of Rosslyn Chapel is covered with carvings of individual figures and scenes.